PM-10 Authorization Process
a. Manage the security and privacy state of organizational systems and the environments in which those systems operate through authorization processes;
b. Designate individuals to fulfill specific roles and responsibilities within the organizational risk management process; and
c. Integrate the authorization processes into an organization-wide risk management program.
Authorization processes for organizational systems and environments of operation require the implementation of an organization-wide risk management process and associated security and privacy standards and guidelines. Specific roles for risk management processes include a risk executive (function) and designated authorizing officials for each organizational system and common control provider. The authorization processes for the organization are integrated with continuous monitoring processes to facilitate ongoing understanding and acceptance of security and privacy risks to organizational operations, organizational assets, individuals, other organizations, and the Nation.
- SP 800-37 Joint Task Force (2018) Risk Management Framework for Information Systems and Organizations: A System Life Cycle Approach for Security and Privacy. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-37, Rev. 2.
- SP 800-39 Joint Task Force Transformation Initiative (2011) Managing Information Security Risk: Organization, Mission, and Information System View. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-39.
- SP 800-181 Petersen R, Santos D, Smith MC, Wetzel KA, Witte G (2020) Workforce Framework for Cybersecurity (NICE Framework). (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-181, Rev. 1.
Related controls 3
- CA-06 Authorization L M H P
- CA-07 Continuous Monitoring L M H P
- PL-02 System Security and Privacy Plans L M H P