SR-02 Supply Chain Risk Management Plan
a. Develop a plan for managing supply chain risks associated with the research and development, design, manufacturing, acquisition, delivery, integration, operations and maintenance, and disposal of the following systems, system components or system services: sr-02_odp.01;
b. Review and update the supply chain risk management plan sr-02_odp.02 or as required, to address threat, organizational or environmental changes; and
c. Protect the supply chain risk management plan from unauthorized disclosure and modification.
|sr-02_odp.01||systems, system components, or system services|
The dependence on products, systems, and services from external providers, as well as the nature of the relationships with those providers, present an increasing level of risk to an organization. Threat actions that may increase security or privacy risks include unauthorized production, the insertion or use of counterfeits, tampering, theft, insertion of malicious software and hardware, and poor manufacturing and development practices in the supply chain. Supply chain risks can be endemic or systemic within a system element or component, a system, an organization, a sector, or the Nation. Managing supply chain risk is a complex, multifaceted undertaking that requires a coordinated effort across an organization to build trust relationships and communicate with internal and external stakeholders. Supply chain risk management (SCRM) activities include identifying and assessing risks, determining appropriate risk response actions, developing SCRM plans to document response actions, and monitoring performance against plans. The SCRM plan (at the system-level) is implementation specific, providing policy implementation, requirements, constraints and implications. It can either be stand-alone, or incorporated into system security and privacy plans. The SCRM plan addresses managing, implementation, and monitoring of SCRM controls and the development/sustainment of systems across the SDLC to support mission and business functions.
Because supply chains can differ significantly across and within organizations, SCRM plans are tailored to the individual program, organizational, and operational contexts. Tailored SCRM plans provide the basis for determining whether a technology, service, system component, or system is fit for purpose, and as such, the controls need to be tailored accordingly. Tailored SCRM plans help organizations focus their resources on the most critical mission and business functions based on mission and business requirements and their risk environment. Supply chain risk management plans include an expression of the supply chain risk tolerance for the organization, acceptable supply chain risk mitigation strategies or controls, a process for consistently evaluating and monitoring supply chain risk, approaches for implementing and communicating the plan, a description of and justification for supply chain risk mitigation measures taken, and associated roles and responsibilities. Finally, supply chain risk management plans address requirements for developing trustworthy, secure, privacy-protective, and resilient system components and systems, including the application of the security design principles implemented as part of life cycle-based systems security engineering processes (see SA-8).
- FASC18 Secure Technology Act [includes Federal Acquisition Supply Chain Security Act] (P.L. 115-390), December 2018.
- 41 CFR 201 "Federal Acquisition Supply Chain Security Act; Rule," 85 Federal Register 54263 (September 1, 2020), pp 54263-54271.
- EO 13873 Executive Order 13873, *Executive Order on Securing the Information and Communications Technology and Services Supply Chain* , May 2019.
- CNSSD 505 Committee on National Security Systems Directive No. 505, *Supply Chain Risk Management (SCRM)* , August 2017.
- SP 800-30 Joint Task Force Transformation Initiative (2012) Guide for Conducting Risk Assessments. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-30, Rev. 1.
- SP 800-39 Joint Task Force Transformation Initiative (2011) Managing Information Security Risk: Organization, Mission, and Information System View. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-39.
- SP 800-160-1 Ross RS, Oren JC, McEvilley M (2016) Systems Security Engineering: Considerations for a Multidisciplinary Approach in the Engineering of Trustworthy Secure Systems. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-160, Vol. 1, Includes updates as of March 21, 2018.
- SP 800-161 Boyens JM, Paulsen C, Moorthy R, Bartol N (2015) Supply Chain Risk Management Practices for Federal Information Systems and Organizations. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-161.
- SP 800-181 Petersen R, Santos D, Smith MC, Wetzel KA, Witte G (2020) Workforce Framework for Cybersecurity (NICE Framework). (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-181, Rev. 1.
- IR 7622 Boyens JM, Paulsen C, Bartol N, Shankles S, Moorthy R (2012) Notional Supply Chain Risk Management Practices for Federal Information Systems. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Interagency or Internal Report (IR) 7622.
- IR 8272 Paulsen C, Winkler K, Boyens JM, Ng J, Gimbi J (2020) Impact Analysis Tool for Interdependent Cyber Supply Chain Risks. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Interagency or Internal Report (IR) 8272.
Control Enhancements 1
- SR-02(01) Establish Scrm Team L M H P
Related controls 13
- CA-02 Control Assessments L M H P
- CP-04 Contingency Plan Testing L M H P
- IR-04 Incident Handling L M H P
- MA-02 Controlled Maintenance L M H P
- MA-06 Timely Maintenance L M H P
- PE-16 Delivery and Removal L M H P
- PL-02 System Security and Privacy Plans L M H P
- PM-09 Risk Management Strategy L M H P
- PM-30 Supply Chain Risk Management Strategy L M H P
- RA-03 Risk Assessment L M H P
- RA-07 Risk Response L M H P
- SA-08 Security and Privacy Engineering Principles L M H P
- SI-04 System Monitoring L M H P