PM-07 Enterprise Architecture
Develop and maintain an enterprise architecture with consideration for information security, privacy, and the resulting risk to organizational operations and assets, individuals, other organizations, and the Nation.
The integration of security and privacy requirements and controls into the enterprise architecture helps to ensure that security and privacy considerations are addressed throughout the system development life cycle and are explicitly related to the organization’s mission and business processes. The process of security and privacy requirements integration also embeds into the enterprise architecture and the organization’s security and privacy architectures consistent with the organizational risk management strategy. For PM-7, security and privacy architectures are developed at a system-of-systems level, representing all organizational systems. For PL-8 , the security and privacy architectures are developed at a level that represents an individual system. The system-level architectures are consistent with the security and privacy architectures defined for the organization. Security and privacy requirements and control integration are most effectively accomplished through the rigorous application of the Risk Management Framework [SP 800-37](#482e4c99-9dc4-41ad-bba8-0f3f0032c1f8) and supporting security standards and guidelines.
- OMB A-130 Office of Management and Budget Memorandum Circular A-130, *Managing Information as a Strategic Resource* , July 2016.
- SP 800-37 Joint Task Force (2018) Risk Management Framework for Information Systems and Organizations: A System Life Cycle Approach for Security and Privacy. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-37, Rev. 2.
- SP 800-39 Joint Task Force Transformation Initiative (2011) Managing Information Security Risk: Organization, Mission, and Information System View. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-39.
- SP 800-160-1 Ross RS, Oren JC, McEvilley M (2016) Systems Security Engineering: Considerations for a Multidisciplinary Approach in the Engineering of Trustworthy Secure Systems. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-160, Vol. 1, Includes updates as of March 21, 2018.
- SP 800-160-2 Ross RS, Pillitteri VY, Graubart R, Bodeau D, McQuaid R (2019) Developing Cyber Resilient Systems: A Systems Security Engineering Approach. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-160, Vol. 2.
Control Enhancements 1
- PM-07(01) Offloading L M H P
Related controls 8
- AU-06 Audit Record Review, Analysis, and Reporting L M H P
- PL-02 System Security and Privacy Plans L M H P
- PL-08 Security and Privacy Architectures L M H P
- PM-11 Mission and Business Process Definition L M H P
- RA-02 Security Categorization L M H P
- SA-03 System Development Life Cycle L M H P
- SA-08 Security and Privacy Engineering Principles L M H P
- SA-17 Developer Security and Privacy Architecture and Design L M H P