CA-05 Plan of Action and Milestones
a. Develop a plan of action and milestones for the system to document the planned remediation actions of the organization to correct weaknesses or deficiencies noted during the assessment of the controls and to reduce or eliminate known vulnerabilities in the system; and
b. Update existing plan of action and milestones ca-05_odp based on the findings from control assessments, independent audits or reviews, and continuous monitoring activities.
Plans of action and milestones are useful for any type of organization to track planned remedial actions. Plans of action and milestones are required in authorization packages and subject to federal reporting requirements established by OMB.
- OMB A-130 Office of Management and Budget Memorandum Circular A-130, *Managing Information as a Strategic Resource* , July 2016.
- SP 800-37 Joint Task Force (2018) Risk Management Framework for Information Systems and Organizations: A System Life Cycle Approach for Security and Privacy. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-37, Rev. 2.
Control Enhancements 1
Related controls 7
- CA-02 Control Assessments L M H P
- CA-07 Continuous Monitoring L M H P
- PM-04 Plan of Action and Milestones Process L M H P
- PM-09 Risk Management Strategy L M H P
- RA-07 Risk Response L M H P
- SI-02 Flaw Remediation L M H P
- SI-12 Information Management and Retention L M H P