IA-12 Identity Proofing
a. Identity proof users that require accounts for logical access to systems based on appropriate identity assurance level requirements as specified in applicable standards and guidelines;
b. Resolve user identities to a unique individual; and
c. Collect, validate, and verify identity evidence.
Identity proofing is the process of collecting, validating, and verifying a user’s identity information for the purposes of establishing credentials for accessing a system. Identity proofing is intended to mitigate threats to the registration of users and the establishment of their accounts. Standards and guidelines specifying identity assurance levels for identity proofing include [SP 800-63-3](#737513fa-6758-403f-831d-5ddab5e23cb3) and [SP 800-63A](#9099ed2c-922a-493d-bcb4-d896192243ff) . Organizations may be subject to laws, executive orders, directives, regulations, or policies that address the collection of identity evidence. Organizational personnel consult with the senior agency official for privacy and legal counsel regarding such requirements.
- FIPS 201-2 National Institute of Standards and Technology (2013) Personal Identity Verification (PIV) of Federal Employees and Contractors. (U.S. Department of Commerce, Washington, D.C.), Federal Information Processing Standards Publication (FIPS) 201-2.
- SP 800-63-3 Grassi PA, Garcia ME, Fenton JL (2017) Digital Identity Guidelines. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-63-3, Includes updates as of March 2, 2020.
- SP 800-63A Grassi PA, Fenton JL, Lefkovitz NB, Danker JM, Choong Y-Y, Greene KK, Theofanos MF (2017) Digital Identity Guidelines: Enrollment and Identity Proofing. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-63A, Includes updates as of March 2, 2020.
- SP 800-79-2 Ferraiolo H, Chandramouli R, Ghadiali N, Mohler J, Shorter S (2015) Guidelines for the Authorization of Personal Identity Verification Card Issuers (PCI) and Derived PIV Credential Issuers (DPCI). (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-79-2.
Control Enhancements 6
- IA-12(01) Supervisor Authorization L M H P
- IA-12(02) Identity Evidence L M H P
- IA-12(03) Identity Evidence Validation and Verification L M H P
- IA-12(04) In-person Validation and Verification L M H P
- IA-12(05) Address Confirmation L M H P
- IA-12(06) Accept Externally-proofed Identities L M H P
Related controls 8
- AC-05 Separation of Duties L M H P
- IA-01 Policy and Procedures L M H P
- IA-02 Identification and Authentication (Organizational Users) L M H P
- IA-03 Device Identification and Authentication L M H P
- IA-04 Identifier Management L M H P
- IA-05 Authenticator Management L M H P
- IA-06 Authentication Feedback L M H P
- IA-08 Identification and Authentication (non-organizational Users) L M H P