PE-02 Physical Access Authorizations
a. Develop, approve, and maintain a list of individuals with authorized access to the facility where the system resides;
b. Issue authorization credentials for facility access;
c. Review the access list detailing authorized facility access by individuals pe-02_odp ; and
d. Remove individuals from the facility access list when access is no longer required.
Physical access authorizations apply to employees and visitors. Individuals with permanent physical access authorization credentials are not considered visitors. Authorization credentials include ID badges, identification cards, and smart cards. Organizations determine the strength of authorization credentials needed consistent with applicable laws, executive orders, directives, regulations, policies, standards, and guidelines. Physical access authorizations may not be necessary to access certain areas within facilities that are designated as publicly accessible.
- FIPS 201-2 National Institute of Standards and Technology (2013) Personal Identity Verification (PIV) of Federal Employees and Contractors. (U.S. Department of Commerce, Washington, D.C.), Federal Information Processing Standards Publication (FIPS) 201-2.
- SP 800-73-4 Cooper DA, Ferraiolo H, Mehta KL, Francomacaro S, Chandramouli R, Mohler J (2015) Interfaces for Personal Identity Verification. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-73-4, Includes updates as of February 8, 2016.
- SP 800-76-2 Grother PJ, Salamon WJ, Chandramouli R (2013) Biometric Specifications for Personal Identity Verification. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-76-2.
- SP 800-78-4 Polk T, Dodson DF, Burr WE, Ferraiolo H, Cooper DA (2015) Cryptographic Algorithms and Key Sizes for Personal Identity Verification. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD), NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-78-4.
Control Enhancements 3
- PE-02(01) Access by Position or Role L M H P
- PE-02(02) Two Forms of Identification L M H P
- PE-02(03) Restrict Unescorted Access L M H P
Related controls 14
- AT-03 Role-based Training L M H P
- AU-09 Protection of Audit Information L M H P
- IA-04 Identifier Management L M H P
- MA-05 Maintenance Personnel L M H P
- MP-02 Media Access L M H P
- PE-03 Physical Access Control L M H P
- PE-04 Access Control for Transmission L M H P
- PE-05 Access Control for Output Devices L M H P
- PE-08 Visitor Access Records L M H P
- PM-12 Insider Threat Program L M H P
- PS-03 Personnel Screening L M H P
- PS-04 Personnel Termination L M H P
- PS-05 Personnel Transfer L M H P
- PS-06 Access Agreements L M H P